Cesta prvih borcev 22
What to see in this city?
Get to know the city
At the Confluence of Rivers Sava and Krka
Brežice Castle – a magnificent two-storey Renaissance castle from the 16th century with an awe-inspiring Baroque interior. The castle was built on the site of a former castle from the 12th century, which was destroyed during the 1515 Slovene Peasant Revolt. It houses the Posavje Museum Brežice, established in 1949, which is devoted to Posavje region’s heritage from the distant past to the present day.
The Knight’s Hall at the Brežice Castle, with its numerous frescoes, is a first-class Baroque gallery with rich mythological content. In the beginning of the 18th century, Karel Frančišek Remb, at the time a young Slovene painter, painted it with motifs of Ovid’s Metamorphoses, and elements of air, water, fire and earth.
The Brežice Water Tower is one of the town’s most prominent sights, built back in 1914.
The confluence of rivers Sava and Krka with a bridge made of reinforced concrete, spanning 524 metres, was one of the longest in Austria-Hungary when it was built in 1906.
Gasa is a street with clustered houses built onto the town wall. A walk along the street offers a nice view of the famous Brežice Water Tower.
The Parish Church of St. Lawrence, located in the town centre, boasts Baroque architecture, rich neoclassical frescoes, and a modernly painted presbytery.
The Town Hall, whose design testifies to the different activities taking place inside of it. Today, it houses a Tourist Information Centre, a shop with goods produced by local craftsmen and farmers, as well as a wine store.
The Old Pharmacy – one of Brežice’s best-preserved houses with a Renaissance facade from 1641 and 1695.
The National House was the cultural and political centre of the local people at the time of the national movement in the early in the early 20th century.
The German House built in the Northern Renaissance style by the town’s German population for their own purposes at the beginning of the 20th century.
The castle granary is a magnificent building from the 18th century and one of the best preserved castle granaries in Slovenia.